Sunday, January 27, 2013

A fire I cannot escape

I’m a little like the duck hunter who was hunting with his friend when far away on the horizon he noticed a cloud of smoke. A wind came up and he realized the terrible truth: a brush-fire was advancing his way.

... The hunter began to empty all the contents of his knapsack. He soon found what he was looking for ... a book of matches.

He lit a small fire around the two of them. Soon they were standing in a circle of blackened earth, waiting for the brush fire to come. The fire came near-and swept over them, but they were completely unhurt. They weren’t even touched. Fire would not burn the place where fire had already burned.

The law is like the brush-fire. I cannot escape it. But if I stand in the burned-over place, where law has already burned its way through, then I will not get hurt. Not a hair of my head will be singed. The death of Christ is the burned-over place. There I huddle, hardly believing yet relieved. Christ’s death has disarmed the law. “Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord.”

--Dr. Paul Zahl
Who Will Deliver Us? The Present Power of the Death of Christ (pg. 42-43)

No comments: